Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Computational Silence

Still not sure whether to take Mr. Hughes seriously, even though he echoes some of my points. His latest looks pretty confused at first reading but it's far from my expertise. Maybe Eli will have a look.

That all said, I am not one who says all is right with computational climatology.

My friend JL sends along an article by (not captain) James Quirk that does a good job outlining the quandary and some of the efforts toward a solution. Climate science is particularly backward in adopting these measures. There's a misperception that all GCMs solve the same problem that is understandable in the public but hard to account for within the field.

The article is called "Computational Science: Same Old Silence, Same Old Mistakes". It appears in a volume on AMR. It is behind a Springer firewall, so if you can't get the PDF note that Google will display a scan of it.

(Remember, rationally, the less we trust the models the more severe our policy constraints on modifying the system should be.)

3 comments:

David B. Benson said...

Unfortunately, I have yet to see a widely applicable and workable 'literate programming' framework. Don's pioneering 'web' and 'weave' just is not being used, probably for good reasons.

Quik's might work for him. I don't see his ideas as more than another step in a desirable direction.

I would be pleased to be shown otherwise.

David B. Benson said...

Er, Quirk's, that is...

Unknown said...

David,

It's amazing what one can find
on the web courtesy of a Google search.

Anyhow with regard to your comment on my paper, I would be
more than happy to show
you that your assessment
of my work is wide of the mark.

For a quick idea of where I'm coming
from, you might like to
check out the following
executable paper.

But be warned, there is much more to that example than first meets the eye. Therefore
before reaching a snap
judgment, you should make the effort to digest "The world's smallest proof."

All the best,

James J. Quirk

p.s. Michael with your reference to Star Trek, you might be amused to learn that I have a stepson named Tiberius. And as he was named 20+ years before I met my wife, it just goes to show that fact can be stranger than fiction.