Saturday, December 10, 2016

Word Game

For fun, and to prove to myself that I still have coding chops after my hiatus, I put together a generalization of the game Boggle few months ago.

It's an extension to Boggle because it supports alternative rectangular grids to the standard 4x4. As published it uses the bsd unix wordlist but other wordlists can be used; this allows easy portability to other languages, though it is still hard-wired to the 26 character alphabet used in English.
The task of finding all solutions, i.e. words of arbitrary length, in a standard-sized or larger boggle array is nontrivial. Pruning the search tree is necessary, as the number of all possible sequences is immense. One version of the game that I often play on my iPhone limits solutions to 7 letter lengths, which is exasperating when you find an 8 or 9 letter word! My version does not have this limitation.
Also I have a version, a little behind the main one,  played with the Python curses library, because I can be a bit old-fashioned.
All visible here: https://github.com/mtobis/mt_word_game

No comments: